Written by Lyssa Goldberg | Originally appeared in Gold Coast's Ft. Lauderdale Daily
Vegans, vegetarians and open-minded eaters, there's a plant-based food and wine festival coming to South Florida, and it begins next week.
Seed Food and Wine Festival will take place in Miami Beach and Miami's Wynwood Arts District from Nov. 18 to Nov. 22. Launched last year, the event is designed to "showcase the delicious side of plant-based living, helping to fuel mainstream acceptance of sustainability and prompting a major change going forward."
The 2015 edition of the festival will feature local culinary talent, leaders in the vegan community and health food celebrities, such as former NBA star and vegan wine owner John Salley and wellness advocate Rich Roll.
“Some of the biggest names in the plant-based world will be joining us and helping to make history…," SEED co-founder Alison Burgos said in a release.
During the five-day festival, Miami Beach and Wynwood will play host to a yoga brunch, a Movies & Munchies film screening amid botanical gardens, a 5K run through mural-painted streets and more. In addition, South Florida blogger Burger Beast will guest judge the first-ever Plant Based Burger Battle to crown America's Best Veggie Burger.
Participating chefs from top Miami restaurants include Jonathan Seningen of DIRT, Brad Kilgore of Alter, Jamie DeRosa of Tongue & Cheek, Chef Taco of Jugofresh, Todd Erickson of Haven and Amber Antonelli of The Naked Bite.
The main attraction is the Seed Festival Day and Tasting Village in Wynwood (for which we have a pair of tickets up for grabs!), where guests can sample plant-based eats from over 80 restaurants and bakeries, as well as vegan juices, wines and spirits. Attendees will also enjoy chef demonstrations, a beer garden, fitness zone, yoga lounge, crafts, edible gardening demos and a cruelty-free beauty bar.
Schedule of Events:
- Wednesday, Nov. 18, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Movies & Munchies Screening of "May I Be Frank" ($25 early, $30 regular, $40 door)
- Thursday, Nov. 19, 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.: First Annual Plant Based Burger Battle at the Eden Roc Hotel ($50 early bird, $55 regular, $60 door)
- Friday, Nov. 20, noon to 5 p.m.: Food Forward Industry Conference in Miami Beach ($50 regular)
- Friday, Nov. 20, 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.: Future of Food Dining Experience at the Raleigh Hotel Miami Beach ($125 early bird, $130 regular)
- Friday, Nov. 20, 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.: An Evening with Chef Chad Sarno in Miami Beach ($125 early bird, $130 regular)
- Saturday, Nov. 21, 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.: Seed Wynwood 5K Run, Yoga, Meditation and Festival Day Package ($60 early bird, $65 regular)
- Saturday, Nov. 21, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Seed Festival Day and Tasting Village at MANA Wynwood ($45 early bird, $50 regular, $55 door)
- Saturday, Nov. 21, 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.: Made In Miami Farm to Table Dinner, Tongue & Cheek ($135 early bird, $140 regular)
- Sunday, Nov. 22, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Mantra Yoga + Brunch with Dawn B at Thompson Miami Beach Hotel ($50 early bird, $55 regular, $60 door)
- Sunday, Nov. 22, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Sprouts Kids Day at Miami Beach Botanical Gardens ($15 early bird, $20 regular, $25 door)
Want to make a weekend of it?
Miami Beach boutique hotel Circa 39, which completed a multi-million dollar renovation last year, offers a Would You Wynwood package for destination vacationers looking to explore the culture of Miami's arts district.
Along with 10 percent off best available rates, guests who reserve a two-night stay at Circa 39 can enjoy a daily breakfast buffet at the hotel's Jules Kitchen, a complimentary craft cocktail at WunderBar, bike rental for the day in Wynwood, and a tour and tasting at Wynwood Brewery (promo code: PKGWYNWOOD).